Hello captains! Sorry for taking a while to send you an email with information/ updates; a couple of teams had to drop out due to unavoidable conflicts so I had to replace their spots with other teams from this year’s Top 25 List.
First off, I want to thank all of you for choosing to play in the Malankara Madness tournaments this year. As you may know, we’re hosting this tournament to raise money for a charity organization called “Sneha Veedu” in India, so all profit that we make will be sent to them. This year we’re blessed to have teams from all four of our regions represented at the National Tournament. We hope to make this the best tournament your team has ever participated in.
Just a couple of reminders:
1) The tournament is next Saturday July 27, 2013 and it will be held at Joseph St. Lawrence Sports Complex (aka Torne Valley) and the address is 115 Torne Valley Road Hillburn, NY 10931.
2) We ask that teams arrive at the gym by 7:30 so we can start the check in process to make sure things go smoothly. Players will need to bring photo ID; without it we cannot let you play with your team.
3) Attached are waiver forms; it is very important that all players sign the waiver forms. There is a team waiver form, and there is an under 18 waiver form. If a player on your team is under 18, please make sure that they and their parent sign the waiver form. Without signed waiver forms we cannot let you play.
4) If you have played in one of our regional tournaments, we ask that you bring back and wear those shirts during the National Tournament. For the teams that didn’t play in a regional tournament but were invited to play in the National Tournament, you will receive your shirts at check in. Along with shirts, each team will receive a complimentary case of water.
5) For teams that are not familiar with the area, we will have a concession stand throughout the tournament. We will have items such as candy, chips, Gatorade, water, bananas, etc and I am working on having pizza and sandwiches for sale during lunch time.
6) The mens teams are guaranteed 3 regular season games; the womens teams are guaranteed 2 regular season and 1 playoff game. For the mens division only the top 8 teams will advance to the playoffs and this will be decided by the following order: overall record, head to head, point differential and then points scored. If there is a tie between teams that are in the playoffs, a coin is flipped to determine who gets seeded what. In the chance that two teams are tied with same point differential, points scored, etc and only one of the two teams can advance to the playoffs, they would play a wildcard game to determine who gets the final playoff spot. Playoff format will be a 1 vs 8, 2 vs 7, etc.
7) I personally request that you do not approach the scores table and confront them about anything. These are members from my youth group that have volunteered to do things throughout the day; they are not professional scores keepers but have done this at our regional tournaments. So I ask that you be patient with them if there are any issues and it will be taken care of right away. If you have any questions (such as how many team fouls you have, or how many time outs are left) I ask that the team captain or coach ask the scores table; any other questions, feel free to ask the referees.
8) During the regular season there will be 10 minute halves and during the playoffs there will be 12 minute halves. The clock will be running until the last minute of the second half; so under a minute, the clock will stop at every whistle. In the case of an overtime situation, 3 minutes will be put on the clock.
9) I understand that this is a National Tournament, so everyone will be playing with a lot of emotion. I personally don’t mind “talk” during a game, so I’ve asked the referees to allow you guys to play. However, they will be watching and listening to everything during the game. If they feel things are going to get out of hand they will give you a warning, if things continue to worsen, they will give you a technical foul.Fighting is not allowed at all; remember that this is a Christian tournament and we want to keep the environment as friendly as possible considering there will be clergy and families, especially children present. If you are caught fighting, you will be thrown out of the tournament.
Also attached are rosters of each team, and a schedule of the tournament day. You can review the rules of the tournament at http://mcymna.org/
basketball/?page_id=187. If you have any questions, please feel free to email me back. If you would like to have my phone number to contact me next weekend, just email me back and I will send it to you. See you all next weekend!
– Joey Abraham
Malankara Madness National Coordinator
CLICK ON THE DOCUMENTS BELOW